The Mayfair Golf & Country Club Limited was founded by 4 gentlemen who wanted to start a golf club on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River back in 1920. Layout of the course spans 147 acres of land in the river valley and is bound by the North Saskatchewan River, Groat Road and Hawrelak Park.
The first AGM was held February 25, 1921 at which time 28 members attended and voted on the memorandum of incorporation.
“To promote, establish or form or assist in the promotion, establishment or formation from among its members of a Club, to be known as “The Mayfair Golf & Country Club”, which Club or whose officers and members shall be the governing body of the Company, to which the Articles of Association of the Company shall apply, and whose officers and By-laws shall be the officers and the By-laws of the Company, and whose resolutions and acts shall be the resolutions and acts of the Company.”
During the next couple years the course and a clubhouse were built and on May 27, 1922 the first ball was driven off by Mayor D.W. Duggan. In 1927 the board contracted Stanley Thompson, to remodel the course into its present championship form; the job lasted from 1928 to 1932.
Records for the next two decades are relatively sparse but there is little doubt that one of the major reasons for the Club’s survival during the Depression and World War II years was the strength of the support provided by the University and its faculty members, many of whom became avid golfers. Mayfair was guided through much of this period by the highly respected Tommy Morrison who acted as combination superintendent/ club pro/ manager for many years.
In 1953 the Mayfair Golf & Country Club Crest was designed by Walter Kerr and used the colours of blue and gold. This embodied a stylized heraldic shield, the Cross of St. Andrew’s, two lions depicting the honourable spirit of competition, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.
In 1964 a new 25 year lease was signed and the shareholders approved the installation of a new water irrigation system in 1965, new trees and remodel of the original clubhouse.
On August 5, 1978 the Queen & Prince Philip honoured us by attending a function at the club.
In 1983 a new 43 year lease was signed with the city of Edmonton. A Long Range Enhancement Planning committee was struck to plan major clubhouse renovations and capital improvements for the course.
In June of 1986 shareholders passed a resolution to change the Articles of Association so that the club would qualify as “Not for Profit” under the Income Tax Act. At the same time, a resolution was passed to eliminate all differences between share classes and prohibit the payments of dividends. Consequently, Mayfair now has authorized capital of $475,000 comprising of 475 common shares.
In 1989, another renovation was approved and Les Furber of Golf Design Services was hired to complete the transformation. These renovations were complete on July 26, 1991.
In 1997, Mayfair Golf & Country Club celebrated its 75th anniversary in style and held a huge gala to mark the event.
In 2005 we applied for and received (in October 2005) Royal status from Queen Elizabeth which resulted in a name change. The club was officially renamed Royal Mayfair Golf Club and we re-designed the Club Crest in 2007 to reflect the new name.
In 2007 a new LREP plan was implemented under the leadership of Ted Locke, golf course architect. Ted’s directives are to improve course playability, replacement of infrastructure and design modifications; changes to take place over 10 year period starting in September of 2010.
Staffing the Club
Management of the Club has been administered by Tommy Morrison (1935), Jim Lefevre (1961), Leo Blindenbach (1975), Garry Douglas (1979), Lloyd McClelland (1985), Bill Grundy (1987), Joe Coleman (1989), George Pinches (1994), Brent Collingwood (1995), Peter Goering (1998), Neil Rooney (1999), Andrew Gilchrist (2002), Scott Henderson (2008) and Wade Hudyma (2010). Our first club professionals were Arthur Cruttenden (1924) and Willie Spittal (1925). In 1926 Tommy Morrison became our club pro and remained in that position until 1953 when Peter Olynyk took over the position. Peter was followed by Ron Rayner (1964), Derek Gibson (1971), Eric Thorsteinson (2002), Robb James in (2009), and Matt Johnson (2013).
Our course superintendents were T.K. (Pat McClenahan (1920’s), Arthur Hickman (1930’s), Len Fowler (1940’s), Cluff Cuthbertson (1950’s and early 60’s), Sid Puddicombe (1968), Debbie Amirault (1988) and Wade Peckham in 2010.
Canadian Open (1958), Canadian Amateur (1968), Canadian Senior Ladies’ Amateur (1979), CPGA Championship (1980), the RCGA Seniors Championship (1982), Canadian Ladies’ Amateur Championship (1993), Western Canadian Junior Invitational (1995), Telus Open (1999), World’s Masters Games (2005) and the CN Canadian Women’s Open (2007 and 2013) as well as numerous local and provincial tournaments.